Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Is It Really That Easy for Some People?

Living in the 'burbs, I often shop at our local warehouse superstore.

When I'm deep into the value-size aisles of juice boxes and paper towels, I don't really check out other shoppers. I'm usually trying to dissuade Baby L from throwing items out of the cart.

Which is why I was surprised to hear someone call my name as I maneuvered my way to the giant stack of baby wipes last Friday afternoon.

"Hi! How are you?"

It was a woman I trained with last summer for the two triathlons. Both she and I openly admitted we didn't know if we'd be training with the team this summer, because we wanted to get pregnant.

Or as I put it, "I hope to either be pregnant, trying to get pregnant, or recovering from being pregnant" in the summer of '09.

But this woman, true to her word, was *actually* pregnant. She's due in May.

"That didn't take long," I goggled while eyeing her basketball belly.

"I was two weeks pregnant at the last tri we did," back in September.

It took one attempt..

She actually said she will skip the event we did in July last year, but will try to train for the September event after this kid is born in May.

And she already has a two-year-old.

I couldn't believe it.

I only just got the go-ahead to start trying last month. Four months after finishing that last race. And with my track record, it's gonna be a long road ahead.

And here she is already halfway through.

My mind just boggles over this.

5 comments:

Antropóloga said...

It's amazing, isn't it? I know how you feel.

Flmgodog said...

It boggles my mind too!

Laurie said...

Totally hear you! Mind is boggled...

Yehudit said...

Lyrehca,

I understand how you'd feel - especially with someone you competed against in the triathalon, but try to consider that life is very different, and if you compare yourself to others that way, it could be very upsetting. You could try to be happy with what you have already (Baby L! :) ) and go at your pace, and with G-d's help, you'll get there!

docgrumbles said...

sometimes I wonder if their minds would be boggled by learning that some have to try for a long time...