Wednesday, August 26, 2009

These Things Expire??

With this book stuff, I don't have a lot of energy to blog much anymore. I blew past my original deadline nearly a month ago, and that's with writing book chapters nearly full time. My kid's been in daycare or camp all summer, and the whole time, I pretty much wrote. Then I'd pick him up, bring him home for dinner, hang out with him or go on after dinner walks to the library or around town, and then bring him home and get him to bed. Then I'd get back on the computer and write/research/surf, say goodnight to Mr. L, and stay up late working til I had to drag myself to bed.

And the book is still late.

My editor is cool about it, telling me to just get it done, and she's happy with the work I've done so far. So while missing my deadline has cause me a bit of tsouris (anguish), it's mostly made me realize to ask for twice as much time when I'm working on my next book.

But then something happens and I think, I gotta blog about this.

So you know I started using the Dexom Seven Plus CGM. I like it, but hate the sensor insertion issue.

As a result, I've taken to wearing the sensors longer than the company recommends. Like two weeks at a time. The CGM continues to be accurate with my meter, and I've only stopped at two weeks because I figure I should stop rebelling and put a new sensor in already.

Plus, to my happiness, the sensor insertion issue has gotten easier. Not EASY, mind you, but I'm getting the hang of it, sort of.

Last week, I realized I have eight more sensors to go. With my two week rate, these should last me til about the end of December or even later, right?

But these things all have an October 2009 expiration date.

A what?

I called Dexcom, and they confirmed that the expiration dates are supposed to be followed, and that the sensors typically have short expiration dates for some reason to do with the transmitter (I only got these things in May). And because I ordered these through a third party to satisfy some insurance gymnastics, I couldn't even trade these in for fresher ones, either from DexCom or likely, from the third party.

I called my Dex rep, the woman who got me set up with this in the first place, and she offered to trade some sensors with me because she uses them all the time in CGM meetings with new clients like me. But then she was all "have you kept them in a room temperature room?"

Well, I sort of have. Except that it's been in the 90s and humid here over the last week or two, and our house doesn't have central air, only window units. And that room isn't always cooled adequately.

Oy.

I could have just lied and said yes, the sensors have been fine.

Instead, I told her I could just try to switch the sensors out every week, as I'm supposed to, and/or just ignore the expiration date and see what happens. Or I could just order a new batch in October and just order fewer than I would need if I were changing them weekly. I told her I'd see where I was when October came around and if I had to switch with her and the sensors I used up til then seemed to be OK with the temperature issue.

It's always something.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know it's a completely different system, but I have regularly used Medtronic CGM sensors at well beyond their expiry. It came from when I had no funding and never knew when I'd next be able to get hold of sensors (I was buying them at cheaper US prices through a friend). But once I realised that a 6-months-past-expiry sensor was fine, I just started to ignore the dates. My current one expired in May!

Other peoples' sensors may vary, but just thought I'd share!

Chris Stocker said...

Geeze, and I'm complaining because I don't have enough time to do anything and I'm not writing a book or have a child. The Medtronic sensors have an expiration date as well, and I had the same issue. I don't wear it as often as I should so I have a lot left over. So I tried the expired ones and they worked just as fine as when they weren't expired. Good luck in finishing the book.

Unknown said...

I understand about the book. You are doing a much needed thing for the diabetes community, we are all cheering for you. I'm sorry I didn't reply for the chapter on infertility, I have been overwhelmed by life lately. I think I could do something now, but it's late, so if you'd like something, just leave a comment and I'll get on to it.

This whole insertion issue is why I am very happy with my injections and handheld glucose monitor. I would probably only change it once a month! As you say, there is always something.

James Reno said...

You are doing a great job! Cut yourself some slack on the book deadlines. You must balance your family life and your health. The book will get done and it will be fine I am sure. All we can do is our best, and you are doing that everyday.

To Your Health!
James Reno (editor)
Raw Food Repair

Bethanne said...

I am a Type I diabetic writer, who understands the crazy lifestyle you are talking about. I also have four beautiful children. :) I'm starting on the Dexcom this week. VERY EXCITED about it. I wouldn't have guessed that something stored in sterile environment, and mostly metal would expire... but I suppose it does make some sense.

Good luck getting the book put together. I will be looking for it! Take care, Bethanne