Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Feeling Pregnant Besides the Weight Gain

Well, YOB is certainly shaping up already.

I emailed Mr. L to tell him people were tickled by his YOB designation. (And no, the guy doesn't read my blog regularly. Can you believe it?) "Now I'm klempy," he wrote back.

After weeks, heck, months of no nausea or morning sickness, I finally spilled my guts last weekend. While it probably wasn't anything but some sort of short-lasting stomach bug, and it wasn't food poisoning because I'd eaten a family meal and no one else upchucked afterwards, it all went down, or came up, around 1:30 am Friday, so sure, it could *technically* be called "morning sickness" since I'm in the family way.

But oy, a lot of yuck came out of me.

After it was finally over, I was able to head back to bed and doze off. But a few hours later, there was more.

Luckily, I was coherent enough to clean things up (yes, I'd made it to the toilet both times), Lysol the bathroom and and brush my teeth. And if I weren't already large and heavy from being pregnant, I would have hopped on the scale to see how much lighter I weighed after emptying my insides. (Not to condone this behavior at all, since I honestly hate to throw up, but why not see where things stand after an unfortunate vomiting incident?)

Instead, I thought, "Oy! Thankfully I haven't had to deal with six months of vomiting. It would have made this pregnancy REALLY unpleasant."

Yesterday, all day at work, I felt like I was full of gas. Like I'd drunk a gallon of soda, then swallowed ten pickles.

I know that for weeks now, I've felt gassy, which is supposed to be a sign of the baby moving. The kid was vaulting all over the place yesterday. Bubbles around my belly button. Swirls in my upper abdomen. Bloating all around.

I felt like I could have farted this kid out to try to relieve the pressure.

Instead, gas expulsion from either end had little effect.

Got a reasonable amount of sleep last night (insomnia from 4-6 am, but generally good blood sugars), then got to work today to feel no gas but flutters.

Actual flutters.

I think I'm finally feeling the baby kick inside me today.

It's been happening all day.

It's weird.

But reassuring.

7 comments:

Penny Ratzlaff said...

Oh, feeling the baby move is such a wonderful feeling. Enjoy!

Major Bedhead said...

Oh, I love, love, love that feeling. It used to fill me with wonder and awe.

I'm loving reading these posts, Lyrecha. They're so fantastic.

Anonymous said...

Oh I got the chills reading that... I hope that you're feeling well!
Caren

Anonymous said...

I remember the first time I felt Sandis kicking, and then again I remember with Gracie. Such a precious feeling! Before you know it they will be thuds not flutters!

Anonymous said...

wow! Flutters! How awesome!

Anonymous said...

Oh, SO WONDERFUL that you're feeling the baby... awesome!

I hope you're feeling better today...

Anonymous said...

Doesn't it make the whole thing seem so much more real? There is actually a little being in there :-)

Just like Sarah said, just wait until those flutters suddenly feel like you swallowed a monkey and he/she is swinging from your ribs!