Sunday, July 09, 2006

Midnight Thinking

Coming out of a several-week stretch of heavy workloads and deadlines, I'm just about out of the woods this weekend. This is the busiest time of the year for the publication I work at, and finishing everything up is like emerging from a long tunnel.

As a result, I haven't blogged and I've noticed my meter averages creeping up. I'm seeing the endo again this Friday and am scheduled to start the IVF drugs this week. While I'm not worried, I'm also not waiting another six weeks if my A1cs are above 7. They've been between 5.6 and the low sixes for more than a year so I can get back on track when I need to.

On Thursday, I left work after midnight and walked to the garage where I'd parked my car. I was talking to the Mister on my cell when I noticed the locked doors.

Look at that--the garage closed at midnight, and my nice silver car was locked inside. I was stranded.


The Mister offered to drive into the city to pick me up, but he'd already been fast asleep when I called him to tell him I was coming home. I told him I'd call him back.

Public transit stops running around 12:30 am, so that wasn't going to help me get anywhere closer to the suburb where we live.

I called my parents, who live 15 minutes away from my office, and brokered a deal: I'd cab to their house, borrow my father's car and drive home, then return it early Friday morning and take the subway back to work. My mother was OK with this, but worried.

"You're going to take a cab this late at night? That's so stressful!"

"I've taken many cabs at night when I lived in New York and you never knew. I'm not stressed at all. I'll be fine."

And I was.

That night, I crawled into bed next to the Mister around 1:15. He barely remembered I was there.

The next morning, since I left the house much earlier than I ususally do, I got to my parents' place around 8:15. I walked to the subway, saw that I'd just missed it, and ended up walking to work. It reminded me of being back in New York again, and I adjusted my insulin dose accordingly. Weirdly, my sugar was super high that morning, for no other reason that getting less sleep than usual.

I got into work around 9:15, a solid fifteen minutes earlier than usual. I was pleased about getting a good hour of exercise, too.

And when I picked up my car at the end of Friday night, they didn't even charge me for an extra night.

Stuff like this, I feel, happens all the time. If it's not the garage closing at midnight, it's the traffic slowing you down and delaying you, or the subway is late, or someone doesn't do what they said they were going to do and it affects your entire day.

But rather than get frustrated over these simple issues, I was able to figure out a plan on how to get home, felt level-headed about it, and things went accordingly.

Telling my story at work the next day, a few people were like "Wow, that's a story." The Mister told all his buddies at work about my night, too.

But for whatever reason, maybe from years of living with health issues, it didn't faze me much and I was able to move on to Plan B and make it happen.

Has living with diabetes, or infertility, or cancer, or *whatever*, helped give you a clearer head when faced with life's smaller challenges?

I mean, really, if I can manage the mental gymnastics of life with diabetes, or the disappointments of infertility, or living through a cancer diagnosis, who can get worried about how to get home after midnight?


If not a mother... said...

I really wish I could say that little things like missing the last bus that gets me home in record time during rush hour rather than having to take three buses don't bug me, but unfortunately, they do. Silly anxiety problems...sigh.

Anonymous said...

Does your Dr. actually want your A1c under 7 before working on having a baby? Things have changed since I had my babies!! Good luck with it all. Type one 35 years. Three kids. Two bio kids, healthy and one adopted. Because we wanted to adopt-too much stress for me with the pregnancies even though I did great and had healthy deliveries.My first was born 21 years ago. So much has changed.

Flmgodog said...

I am glad you are back. Hopefully work will slow down a bit for you soon!!!
Twists in the schedule, moving on to Plan B seem to be the story of my life. Most times I take things in stride and move right along. Certainly have learned to big a much bigger risk taker since being diagnosed with D and all my other "issues"!
I am interested to hear how the IVF goes. Keep on blogging when you have time!!!

Major Bedhead said...

Oh, I'm a pro at moving on to Plan B but it doesn't stop me from bitching mightily while I'm doing it. :D Lots of muttering and cursing under my breath and mentally stomping my feet goes on, but I do just get on with it.

Minnesota Nice said...

For the first 28 years of my career with diabetes I was absolutely frozen with fear about complications and whether or not I'd be strong enough to face them.
Well, four years ago, I got the big test. I woke up with no vision in one eye and was told that I had a completely detached retina and would need immediate surgery. Gulp. While in the recovery room the doc casually mentioned "oh, by the way, I think I failed to mention that you will have to lie face down, not moving, for the next nine days". I was a bit doped up from the anesthesia so didn't realize the trial that was ahead of me - Nine days gave me a lot of time to think about my demons, including vision loss. By the time I was upright, I was determined to take proper care of myself, even though I realized it might be too late. My eye "healed beautifully" and I have 20/30 vision in it. Six months after the surgery I had my first A1C under 7, and now, 4 years later, the microalbumin in my urine has completely disappeared.
Do you think I let "the small stuff" annoy me? Once in awhile, yes, but for the most part - NO!!
I even got an award at work for being the employee with the "most improved attitude" and a special commendation for keeping my cool during a surprise internal audit. Last winter I fell and broke my ankle and was on crutches for 8 weeks. Tt was inconvenient, but I was proud of my newfound adaptability and as I walk to the bus stop each day I'm filled with gratitude that I'm "still here", in reasonable health and mostly sane.
I have only been immersed in the blogging community for one week and you guys are all fantastic - honest, compassionate, and super sincere in your efforts to make life easier for all of us.
Thank you!


Copyright © 2005 - 2008. All Rights Reserved. Distribution of content is prohibited without author's prior consent.

Template Modified By Blogcrowds and Absolute Stock Photo